Saturday, November 14, 2009

I do it too.



Over consuming the world’s resources will lead to enormous instability to social and political sectors of the world. Globalization is creating inequalities throughout the world—money distribution, aid distribution, food distribution and equality between nations.

Over-consumption leads to many problems: less fresh water resources, riots caused by financial crisis, drought, famine (due to overpopulation) etc.

The Factory Farming Campaign in the US found that “[i]n 1950, Americans consumed 144 pounds of meat and poultry per person on average. In 2007, that shot up to 222 pounds.”

UNBELIEVABLE. HOW CAN YOU LIVE OFF THAT MUCH MEAT!

Buy Nothing Day started 11 years ago on the US Thanksgiving holiday (the busiest shopping day in the country). It is now a worldwide celebration for the awareness of over-consumption. Over 65 countries around the world participate on Buy Nothing Day by not consuming for 24 hours. Participants are encouraged to buy nothing and to turn off all electricity in their house.

I can relate to over-consumption (and I am embarrassed to admit to it). I always buy what I don’t need, but always what I want. I should be saving my money! However I always spend on useless things. I am aware of what I am doing, but I can’t stop myself! Having said this, Buy Nothing Day is in two weeks and I hope I can be one of the participants on this day—to be a step closer to protecting my future. I have been trying to spend money only on things I really need and to “buy green”.

Buy Nothing Day supports those who are anti-corporation (the culture jammers), the environmentalists, the scientists, the activists etc. If the entire world participates, this is one way we can all connect and help each other. It is not anything as major as world peace, but it will help one person in one way or another.

The following video has a quote I liked from Marshall McLuhan and it shows over-consumption:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2GKajcU3ns

No comments:

Post a Comment